Food security and national development implication for Home Economics Education in Oredo LGA of Edo State
- BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Food is of paramount importance to the survival, and growth of every human being. The relationship between health and food cannot be over emphasized, the consumption of unwholesome food has caused so much havoc globally, it is an indisputable fact that human lives are lost or maimed daily because of intake of contaminated food or food prepared with addictives and chemicals that are injurious to health.
Food security exists when all people at all time have access to safe nutritious food to maintain a healthy and active life (F A O 1996).
The main goal of food security is for individual to be able to obtain adequate food needed at all times and to be able to utilize the food multi – faceted.
Uko Aviomoh and salami (2000) stated that food security is the ability of every citizen in a given country to have regular access to enough food to meet up the daily nutritional requirement for healthy and productive life.
Idachaba (2004) also stated that food security exists when all people at all times have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe, and nutritious food to meet their daily needs for a nation to be food se3cyred, the following evident must be noted.
- Suitable Agriculture methods which produce plants and animals food of high nutritive value.
- Economic situation which makes it possible to produce the necessary food at a cheaper rate and available to all.
- Controlled industrial procedures
- The conscientious and informed home – maker to manage.
The world bank (2000) identified three pillars that can be under lined in planning food security. These are:
Food Accessibility and
Food is the most primary need that man cannot do without by doing they make do with this food in order to achieve a healthy and progressive living. It primarily that human body requires for the transmission of food borne disease and toxicants, which invariably threatens public health.
Disease caused by contraindicated food constitutes one of the most wide, spread and worrisome health problems of the contemporary world. It has personal, national and global socio – economic consequence. As the saying goes a healthy nation is a prosperous nation.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
Food security in a nation is expected to contribute in our small way to transformation the nations economy and induce rapid development.
Baid (1999), commented that lack of food security in any nation will not only slow down the nations development, but will seriously disrupt a carefully, planned national development programmed.
Therefore the statement of the problem is that, could lack of adequate food supply be responsible for the unrest and constant rioting and agitation almost the labour force and youths in Nigeria, which is a factor that hinders national development? Number of families suffering in poverty and starvation due to the fact that there is no enough provision for food availability, accessibility and nutritional discrimination analysis?
In today’s world where the global economy is dominated by a few large national economics grouping, the smaller nations are finding it difficult to complete, as well as to harness adequate resources for their development this undoubtedly must be the plight of Nigeria. So what could be done to help this situation? Education could be the answer, because knowledge present is ignorance banished.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
Sizer and Whiney (2000) stated that in chronic starvation lie the frustration, tension and envy of masses of people who will ultimately resort to violence. Thy therefore take solace in looting, fighting, drugging, robbery and burning of houses.
- To enable the consumers and bodies governing food resolutions engage in regular talks on the importance of food security to individuals, families, the community and the nation as a whole through regular classroom teaching, mass media and community meeting.
- To enable the government to put more fund and machinery into agriculture.
SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
This research works is important to individuals of all categories.
- To enable the individual to acquire the necessary knowledge, skills, and attitudes require knowing their right as consumers and descern or judge information and consuming intelligently within their means or available resources.
- To provide the necessary information about the food they buy e.g. expiry dates, weight, brand names, cost and where to purchase them.
- It is also importance to the government do that it will enable the government to plan ahead in case there is food scarcity
- Have you heard of the word food security?
- Is lack of storage facilities a problem to food security?
- Do you secure your food for future purpose?
- Do consumers have right on proper practice of food?
- Does food availability eliminate poverty?
DEFINITION OF TERMS
FOOD: This is any substance that people or animals eat or drink for maintains of life and growth.
SECURITY: Freedom or protection from danger or worthy.
AVAILABILITY: Things that can be used to obtain or use to achieve something.
ACCESSIBILITY: Means things that can be reached, the opportunity or right to use.
PRESERVATION: Means method of preventing food deterioration.
ADDICTIVES: Means any substance including any source of radiation expected to result that substance or its bye products becoming a part of its characteristics.
CLEANLINESS: This means the application of good sanitary practice in the handling of food, which reduce the incidence of spoilage.
NUTRITION: Means the scientific study of food and its utilization in the body.
POVERTY: The state of being poor.
UTILIZATION: The process of using ones ability to achieve much from little.
|BANK||ACCOUNT NAME||ACCOUNT NUMBER|
|DIAMOND BANK||FREEMANBIZ COMMUNICATION||007 031 2905|
|GTB||FREEMANBIZ COMMUNICATION||013 772 5121|
|ZENITH BANK||FREEMANBIZ COMMUNICATION||101 326 3297|