IMPACT OF EDUCATION TRUST FUND IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS WITH SPECIFIC REFERENCE TO EBONYI STATE
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Education trust fund is established with the sole purpose of providing funding for education. The fund is established by a person or people depositing a sum of money into a trust, where it is managed by a third party. Education is the main instrument used by a society to preserve, maintain and upgrade its social equilibrium. A society’s future is believed to depend largely in the quality of its citizen’s education.
Adesina, Akinemi and Ajayi (1983) noted that Nigeria through the ministry of education has adopted and applied various strategies to revamp its educational programmes since independence. One of the organizational form through which the government conducts the public sector is the “Trust fund”. Trust fund has its widest application in the social insurance, such funds include:
- The Education Trust Fund (ETF)
- Petroleum Development Tax Fund (PDT)
- Agricultural Development Fund (ADF)
- Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria, amongst others
Education trust fund was established as an intervention agency in the year 1983 but amended in the year 1998 during the leadership of General Abdusalam Abubakar, the ETF is funded from the education tax fund with the project management to improve the quality of Nigeria education.
The following consist the purpose of the tax fund:
- Work centres and prototype development.
- Staff development and conference attendance.
- Library systems at different levels of education.
- Research equipment and procurement maintenance.
- Higher education book development.
- Redressing any imbalance in enrolment mix as between the higher education system.
- Execution of the nine (9) years compulsory education programme.
The system of education in Nigeria since independence (1960) has moved from 2-6-4 system to 6-6-4 system to 6-3-3-4 system, the system in use now is the 9-3-4 system. This system refers to nine (9) years universal basic education (UBE) which has two phases, 6 years primary and 3 years post primary education, 3 years senior secondary education and finally 4 years tertiary education.
ETF ensures that funds generated from education tax are utilized to improve the quality of education in Nigeria without direct contract awarding by;
- Providing fund for educational facilities and infrastructural development.
- Promoting creative and innovative approaches to educational learning services.
- Stimulating, supporting and enhancing improvement activities in education foundation areas like teacher education, teaching practice, library development etc.
- Championing new literacy enhancing areas such as scientific information and technology literacy.
The same source also observed that the board of trustees vested with the responsibility encountered several problems in the course of administering their duties. The major problem is the fast growing need of the society which the available resources cannot satisfy.
This piece of work attempts to however find out the impact of education trust fund on the development of tertiary institutions in Nigeria with specific reference to Ebonyi state.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
Over the years, a handful of criticisms have been levelled against the management of education system in Nigeria by education trust fund administrators and the ministry of education. The fund is mandated responsibility a provided in section 5(1) (a) to (g) of the Act No 7 is to administer and disburse the amount in the fund to federal, state and local government educational institutions including primary and secondary schools for any other matter ancillary thereto but placing the management of the Nigerian education entirely on ETF seems to be a variance with the provision of the 1998 amendment Act on educational administration. The education tax board which are the administrators of the fund are faced with the problem of the accountability and transparency which in the long run hinders effective assess of the operators of ETF in the development of education. It is on this basis of this striking observation in the public sector that motivated the researcher to carry out a research work on the impact of Education trust fund in the development of tertiary institutions specifically in Ebonyi state.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The general purpose of this study was to determine the impact of education trust fund on the development of tertiary institution in Ebonyi state. Specifically, the study will seek to;
- Identify the impact of ETF on human resources development in tertiary institutions.
- Ascertain the impact of ETF on the development of research and publications in tertiary institutions.
- Ascertain the impact of infrastructural development in tertiary institutions.
- Determine the impact of ETF on curriculum development in tertiary institutions.
To guide this study, the following questions are formulated.
- What is the impact of ETF on Human resource development in tertiary institutions?
- What is the impact of ETF on the development of research and publications in tertiary institutions?
- What is the impact of ETF on infrastructural development in tertiary institutions?
- What is the impact of ETF on the development of curriculum in tertiary institutions?
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This work will be of immense benefit because it has come at no better time than now. This work will enable us to understand the purpose for which the education trust fund was established, this will in turn enable them demand certain things from the government in good time.
To ensure the development of education in Nigeria, all hands are well on deck to enhance an effective development. This study will completely help the administrators of education to understand specific functions of ETF and how to administer these functions effectively in other to achieve the overall aim and objective of education of education in the nation.
It is pertinent to note that the problems which tend to hinder successful implementation of education trust fund in Nigeria schools will be identified in this work. This will in turn enable creativity and as well pave way or create strategies to tackling the problems.
This work shall be a good source material to both students and academicians who do not have much knowledge of the concept of Education Trust Fund (ETF), and to as many of them that would want to expand the scope of this study or would to write on related materials.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study will cover Ebonyi State University, College of Education Ikwo, Federal Polytechnic Uwana, College of Agriculture Ishiagu, the researcher aims at finding the impact of Education Trust Fund Ebonyi State in the development of tertiary institution. Thus the scope earlier mentioned.
|BANK||ACCOUNT NAME||ACCOUNT NUMBER|
|DIAMOND BANK||FREEMANBIZ COMMUNICATION||007 031 2905|
|FIDELITY BANK||FREEMANBIZ COMMUNICATION||560 028 4107|
|GTB||FREEMANBIZ COMMUNICATION||013 772 5121|
|ZENITH BANK||FREEMANBIZ COMMUNICATION||101 326 3297|