PROJECT TOPIC- ROLE OF THE CIVIL SERVICE IN ENHANCING DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA, A CASE STUDY OF EBONYI STATE CIVIL SERVICE
The civil service is an important machinery of the government. This implies that without the civil service government cannot function effectively. The establishment of civil service in Nigeria could be date back to the 1861 with the annexation of Lagos as a British possession, however is that each tum and arrangement of its administrative structure. During the military rule in Nigeria 1966-1976, the military government relied largely on the formulation and implement5ation of economic and social policies. The civil service to enhance development aimed at carrying the activities of government efficiently, without an outenor motive. This led a new and clear understanding and acceptance that the goals of government is achieved through the civil servants. The Researcher intends to look at Imo state civil service as a organizational structure, the staffs, senior staffs, and Junior staffs, respectively. And how civil service has played its role in developing Imo state. The researcher intends to chapterize the work, To that effect the first chapter will enter mainly on the introductory aspect of the study with ample interest on the historical antecedence to civil service (Nigeria). In this part, the researcher used the library research method and other data collected from Imo state civil service. The body of the project contain chapters, three, four, and five. In this chapter various data collection techniques were used. That is primary data. At the end, the researcher succinctly summarized her findings. This was followed by conclusion. This Recommendation, which was a well, solving the problems of civil service finally, there was bibliography.
1.1.BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY.
The role of civil service in enhancing development in Nigeria. It will be necessary to note at the onset that Nigeria being colonized just like most other developing nations had no model of her own civil service. Dike (1985:1) states that “the Nigerian civil service dates back from independence in 1960. before that both the executive and the civil service Nigeria were essentially colonial institutions dominated by the imperial officers”.
An civilization ancient civilization shows that even before the colonial era, civil service had existed in various empires. Adebayo (1993:93) states that the ancient Chinese Empire during the Dynasty, 202 BC, Recognised the need to have a permanent body of officials to implement government decisions. It follows then that the civil service that followed the amalgamation of Northern and Southern Nigeria in 1914 was the colonial imposed alien civil service. The higher positions in the civil service were held by the British expatriates.
The Seldom knew their job and their values of the natives. Nwosu (1977:42) “the British imposed a unified alien civil service. Without giving much thought to its impact on the Nigerian traditional communities with their conflicting values, intents, norms and authority structure”. Civil service according to the civil service handbook (1972:13) is a body or organ which enjoys continuity of existence.
Its members, unlike members of parliament or house of Assembly are not limited to a short term of office at the end of which they may or may not be returned to office politicians come and go but civil servants remain in office. The civil service is an organized institution that is responsible for carrying out day to day activities of the government. It is indeed a source of legitimacy to the government in power.
It is the instrument of the government of the day but is not partisans of any political party without the civil service there is no government. The civil service commands a pool of experience and know how for implementing government policies. The civil service can be said to be indispensable no matter the government in power, it PDP, AD, NCNC, UPGA, or even the military. it ensures that the orderly administration servant in Imo State is required to assist in formulating and implementing the policies
approved by the government irrespective of his personal or private opinion. It is the duty of a civil servant to advice on the implication of a policy or action. In Imo State civil service, it monitors the sectoral development with a view of improving upon existing standards and practices, correcting, observed pitfalls and ensuring a forward movement. This the service takes part in policy formulation in view of these all, they operate very considerably less on the whims and caprices of idiosyncrasies of
individual office, holder and more clearly defined and established operational guidelines. The development (Imo State civil service) lies in since hard working of the office by the civil servant who ensure that the work of government is Trudy implemented efficiently and effectively for the up date of the organization. In Imo State civil service development entails the re-orientation of entire economic and social system, an improvement of income, and changes in administrative strictures as well as in popular attitudes, customs and beliefs. When we discuss about civil service, we should also talk about bureaucracy which is the component of civil service, Roles helps the development of civil service (Imo State) to be achieved.
PROJECT TOPIC- ROLE OF THE CIVIL SERVICE IN ENHANCING DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA, A CASE STUDY OF EBONYI STATE CIVIL SERVICE
- STATEMENT OF THE RESEARCH PROBLEMS
One of the critical responsibility of civil service (Imo State) is to ensure that the works are been carried out efficiently and effectively. Ways of accomplishing this is through a pay system that is effective. This is essential because effective pay programme can motivate employees to perform efficiently. If will create a culture for which people care about the organization and its success. It can provide the fringe benefits that the civil servants want in an effective manner.
Presently, appointment into the required office was by patronage and depended on personal relationship or knowing the right people. In Imo State civil service, some post were given as reward for political service and these were regarded as part of the spoil of office. The servants or holders of government post were empowered to charge fees for their services which they render to the public.
More over, in present management control system is a ‘’pent up’’ behaviour which is commonly described as ‘’eye service’’ when the civil servant pretend to be working hard in the presence of a superior but relax to idleness in his absence. This cause Administrative bottle neck. Unnecessary delays in executing of the optimal utilization
- what is the nature civil service in Imo State
- What are the roles of Imo State civil service in development of the State?
- OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The objectives of the study including the following.
- The civil service (Imo State) assists in the formulation and execution of public policy by way of drafting, polishing and carraying out public policies.
- To manage the machinery of government and carry out the day to day duties that public administration demands. (Imo State?
- To control government funds (Imo state) this is where the ministry of finance comes in Expenditure of public funds must first be cleared with the ministry. It is illegal for any branch of the government to spend public fund without first clearing with the ministry of finance.
- The civil servants Imo state keeps official documents that are relevant to the government of the day.
- To educate the public about actions and policies of the government.
- Imo state civil service ensures continuity of government and this makes stability.
- To advice the government concerning the issues about the public.
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The need for proper, systematic and importance of the civil service.
- It provides useful idea on the problems of maintaining optimum level of enhancing development.
- It identifies the problems hindering development of the civil service Imo State.
- The research suggest ways of improving the Imo state civil service.
- The significance of civil service will examine and identifies the pitfall associated with civil service in Nigeria.
The entire world and academic schools will benefit in this study which would make instructional job challenging and rewarding and furnish students as well as entire members of public with the realistic entire picture of the operations of civil service. The is for the fact that it will serve as a source of inspiration to beginners within the academic circle. It will also related matters affecting the political, development of the country.
The project will educate and widen the perceptive psychology of citizens on how the works of government is executed by the civil servants. A study of Imo state civil service will help to enlighten and explain a true objectives, structures and the implementation of government policy. The development become integrated, achievement to the public. This work will help as to understand the misconduct of the civil servants.
This work will serve as cognitive road map to all and sundry.
- RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
- Organization survival depend on the civil servants
- Role of civil service is it effective
- Problems which dominate civil servants from developing the organization: include
- Politics also affect the effectiveness of civil service. Imo State
- Delays in carrying out the government work by civil servant (Imo state)
- THEORETICAL FRAMEWORK OF ANALYSIS
The research’s resolve to study Imo state civil service, is anchored on system.
This is not far to believe that civil service is a tool of implementing government policies. It emphasis on organization in terms of its purpose and formal structure. They placed on planning of work, the technical requirement of organization and the assumption of rationale civil service structure as a means of increasing efficiency. To offer general solutions common to problems of civil service.
Initially the emphasis of this theory was on development, increase and display of government policy successfully. The development according to Taylor is a true science to replace the intuitive method of doing work of civil service or organization. The procedures to follow in work should be introduced to they workers for which they will be suited physically and intellectual.
Methods and analyis of job stimulated others to formulate policies. The theory shares the dysfunction of bureaucracy like rigidity, impersonality, self- perpetuation etc. it emphasis on teamwork, harmony, belongingness, togetherness and unit efforts among workers, because unity is power. The work of Taylor trend on administered method in solving problem on civil service.
- SCOPE OF STUDY
This project is centered within Nigerian civil service setting. The research revolves around the civil service Imo state and its development. The investigator traced the historical antecedence of Nigerian civil service back to 1861 with the annexation of Lagos as a British possession. The work is divided into chapters and it covered a wide range of activities as follows chapter one gives a general overview of the whole project. It is further sub divided into back ground of study, Research hypothesis, scope and limitations of study, theorical framework etc
Chapter two is based on literature review its main concern is to review some pertinent textbook that relate to the topic in question according to the researchers choice and line of thoughts. Chapter three is the research methodology. It has introductory part, its main objective is to clearly explain area of the study, data collection techniques and so on. Chapter four has to do with the presentation of results in the same order based on the research question, literature review.
It is the chapter that answers the question raised by the work by making use of other works previously written by authors in the discussion, conclusion and recommendation. References are also attached at the end of it. However, in every intellectual activity of this sort, one is faced with problems and impediment which hampers the scope and quality of such occupation
- LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In the course of this project, the researcher encountered sense of obstacles among which include:
- TIME FACTOR:- there was little time for the researcher to rally round and obtain all required data, this is because she was confroted by a range of class assignments, the time to attend lectures, a time to consult more libranes for materials and a time for her examinations and a lot of other activities of relevance all queued up awaiting her attention.
- FINANCIAL CONSTRAINTS:- this was another obstacle that adversely impacted on both the quality and volume of this work. Intact all aspect of project execution requires finance and coming from a poor background, it was all a heific task for me to accomplish this task. The money to travel down to Imo state civil service for information’s, the payment of my school fees, purchasing of textbooks for this project feeding accommodation, clothing, internet browning etc, all deserve serious financial attention for which she was naturally illequipped.
- DEFINITION OF TERMS/CONCEPTS
There are various technical terms that require broad and clear definitions in regards to the research study: these include
Development:- the gradual growth of something so that it becomes more advanced, stronger etc